Digital first means mobile first in Göteborg Posten
September 27, 2012 by marek.miller
Martin Holmberg, Director of Digital Development, Göteborg Posten, Sweden is another speaker who gave a very interesting presentation during the INMA 2012 conference in Hague. He spoke bout how important is mobile strategy to him and his company.
- local morning paper
- second largest in Sweden
- owned by Stampen Group
- Located in Gothenburg
- 220.000 circulation
- 500.000 unique users each week
They had been working on the mobile for a long time. Started with SMS news, then the first mobile site was born in 2005. Also in 2005 a sport app appeared but it was too early and reached 5 subscribers only. In 2008 they updated the mobile site. 2010 was the year when they started working on mobile in the real way. The tablet was a hype in Sweden, and Goteborgs Posten chose the mobile way, against all tablet trends. They simply didn’t have the resources to do both.
They now have:
- iPhone app: 160.000 downloads
- Android app: 45.000 downloads
- Windows app: 2.000 downloads
Those numbers prove they were right. Not only that – this yeart mobile won the summer Olympics, with 60% of visits on news sites came from mobile devices. This proves a new behavior is born also in Sweden – mobile first.
Why an iPhone app? To:
- strengthen the brand
- have automatic publication
- use the possibilities an app gives
- have unique content
- start to get new useful experiences
They did it in 2 steps:
- build reach successfully
- capitalize on the traffic
Primary goal was to reach 3.500 downloads in the first 2 months. They reached 35.000 people instead. Mobile explosion was there.
The business model of Goteborgs Posten: the core is free. They started to experiment and to invent some paid content – they are thinking about delivering paid content within the app. The paid content in GP is:
- unique digital content
- available both online and mobile
- 23 000 members, majority print subscribers
- 600 unique subscribers
- It was the first attempt
Daily iPhone tip (GP found a blogger who would be doing that as short tips for iPhone users):
- 1,5 Euro pay 3 months
- No extra cost for the newsroom
- 1000 subscribers
Done so far:
- built reach successfully for a local paper
- alternative for all platforms
- launched bigger ads formats
- established in-app purchases
But the big question remains: how to increase mobile revenues without loosing higher revenues from print?