10 successful Axel Springer special print and digital ideas
September 28, 2012 by marek.miller
Stefan Wiemann, Creative Director, Axel Springer, Germany was one of the speakers on the second day of the INMA 2012 European conference in Hague. By giving 10 creative ideas from Axel Springer (7 from print, 3 from digital) activities, he proved that right activities and correct usage of platforms, can bring great success for the publishers.
10 examples of successful Axel Springer special print and digital ideas over the last years (7 print, 3 digital):
- BILD am Feiertag - special print edition on a german national day. Started 2008 on October 3rd. The only newspaper in newsstads sold on the holiday day. Circulation is 1,2 mill copies, exclusively sold to Volkswagen.
- 3D Bild - completely in 3D, with 5,5 milion glasses distributed with the newspaper. All content and ads were in 3D. The ad prices were set 10% up above the average. They made 2,7 million Euro in advertising, and the advertising space was completetly sold out
- Bild XXL - published in 2011 it was the biggest daily newspaper ever, twice as high of normal issue (77,7 cm high). Ad prices were 30% above average what brought 3,7 million Euro in ad revenues. Entry in Guiness Book of Records
- Bild for all. For 60th anniversary a free copy for every German household was distributed. 41 million copies, highest circulation ever. Axel Springer had to start to print it 3 months before. The ad prices were 1000% above averages, and brought 37 million Euro ad revenue.
- Die Welt artist edition - special edition in 2010 produced by artist. All graphics designed by artists. It became an exclusive edition for collectors . Reached new target groups.
- Computer Bild - full cover. Full cover advertisement, with ad price 36% above average.
- Auto Bild - special advertising format
- Panasonic digital adreportage award 2012. Readers and users sent in digital reportage. 30 finalists chosen. 650.000 Euro ad revenue.
- Welt Dialog 2012 - cooperation with e-Post. Interaction of online users with customer experts. 600 questions posted and answered by specialist. All platforms were used
- Faces of Israel – cooperation with the Israel Ministry in Tourism. Search couples in Germany as Travel-Ambassadors for Israel. Ad revenue was 2,2 mill Euro. Over 350 couples sent their applications. It was the first 360 degree campaign : not only all platforms but also market research, social media, tv ads, and others.