How to make 54 million people read your newspaper everyday?
Shailesh Gupta, the CEO, Dainik Jagran, India spoke during INMA/OPA Europe Conference in Krakow about making the world largest read daily. Dainik Jagran is the newspaper that sells in 3 million copies daily.
That’s not all! The readership of Dainik Jagran reaches 54 million copies daily. The second newspaper in India in terms of readership is 20 million copies behind. Jagran is the India superbrand. According to BBC, it is the most trusted source of news in press media in India.
Dainik Jagran follows these few guiding principles:
1. Content customization. The content in the newspaper is changed every 25 km in India. The content has been adapted to reflect the colloquial characteristics of different regions.
2. Listening to readers
3. Speed (75 printing centers are located in different localization for the newspaper to be delivered to households at 5 AM in the morning)
In India, a business model basing only on circulation, is not a money making model. Dainik Jagran tries to understand its readers, divides them into different target groups and reaches them with different products. Magazines for youngsters, billingual dailies are just examples. The idea is to catch both readership and advertising. For example, the magazine for younger readers – “I next” – launched in December 2006, has 12 editions so far and a reader base of 2,1 million.
Jagran is making efforts to build a new readership base. Except for Dainik Jagran, publisher’s other newspapers give extra 20 million readers. Together as a group they have about 70 million readers per day!
Print is not all, following are other fields Jagran is active at:
- Jagran.com (69 million pageviews, 1.7 million users a month – largest website in the country)
- J9 – mobile division.
- Jagran Engage – outdoor division. Launched in 2006 already in top 10 players.
- Jagran solutions – BTL agency. One of the top BTL agencies in India.
- Jagran research – as a company Jagran is very research oriented. They do yearbooks, and glance series.
- Jagran International – new revenue for Jagran. 20 country reports published in past 3 years.
- Radio Mantra – operating only in the cities they have newspapers just for advertisers and the media mix, to bundle the offers.
More recent stories
Big data beyond the hype
Lutz Finger, Director Data Science and Data Engineering (LinkedIn) spoke at Digital Innovators Summit in Berlin about what big data really means and how it can be used.
Finger sees that big data is big pain as the number of connected devices is growing.
F+W transformation from print publishing to e-commerce company
David Nussbaum, Chairman and CEO, F+W (USA) spoke at Digital Innovators’ Summit in Berlin about digital transformationof his company, and their new business models.
F+W has gone through an amazing transformation from a print-focused niche publisher...
EMAP: Unlocking audience value
At the Digital Innovators’ Summit in Berlin, Natasha Christie-Miller (CEO of EMAP) shedded some light on the transformation, as well as thoughts on how content-centric businesses can continue to unlock value in an uncertain world.
VICE: Changing of the guard in media for generation Y
Carsten Kritscher, Commercial Director, VICE Media (Germany) shared during Digital Innovators Summit how his company has collaborated with forward thinking brands to form unique partnerships and develop cutting-edge, disruptive solutions for their needs.
Condé Nast – Programmatic ad transactions for publishers
At Digital Innovators Summit, Rick Welch, Head of Programmatic Sales, Condé Nast (USA) provided an overview of the programmatic ad landscape, and ways magazine media companies can approach building programmatic capability.
Condé Nast is home to some...
The Onion’s evolution towards digital only publication
Steve Hannah shared at the Digital Innovators Summit how they have transformed their weekly newspaper into a 24/7 digital media brand with new business models while staying true to their core brand.
The U.S. satirical news brand The Onion has become more...
Staying on the interactive marketing rocket – discussion
Online adverting and marketing continues to increase its share of global advertising budgets. This session of Digital Innovators Summit featured the perspectives of global brands and a publisher on the state of online marketing – trends, what is working,...